Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Birthday Cake

Of all the things I bake, I find cakes to be the most challenging. Not only making one from scratch but also decorating the cake. My husband loves white cake and we used to just buy one from a bakery every time some one had a birthday.  But in the last couple of years, I've taken on the challenge of baking my own cake.

I mean, I work in a bakery.  Yeah, we specialize in pies and I spend most of my days there rolling pie dough and helping trouble-shoot when things go wrong. But still, I'm a baker. I should be able to make a cake from scratch.

So last year I found Mrs. Billett's White Cake and decided to give it a try. I did not have a flour sifter last year and it turned out OK. This year I did have a flour sifter and it turned out nice but dry, I think I'm going to add a little milk or cream to it next time.

I also found a good frosting recipe. I tried and failed at making true buttercream.  It always ended up being too runny. But this one make something fluffy and it takes like the filling in Oreo cookies. I kept the bulk of it white but tried to make purple for the accents and writing. I added a few drops of teal and some hot pink and I got the most lovely shade of lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment